Prior to 1910, occasional Masses were offered to area Catholics in the Nevis railroad house or in the home of Peter Cavanaugh. Fr. John Feeley bought two lots from George Miller and Justin Halvorson for a church which was constructed in 1937 under the direction of Fr. James Flynn. A third church was constructed in 1968 and dedicated by Bishop Kenneth Povish in 1972. Local contractor Bud Gross erected the bell tower. Immaculate Conception Parish (Nevis) was a mission of Akeley. The nearly abandoned cemetery north of the Heartland Trail was restored and fenced in 1983. The parishes at Nevis and Akeley had shared pastors and ministries and were eventually joined by Laporte in the early 1970s. The tri-parishes were also served long term by Divine Word Father George Foffel and Dominican Sister Marguerite Morrison. Both retired into parish ministries after long services elsewhere. Fr. Foffel spent 14 years in China and later joined the diocesan priesthood. After his retirement, he worked at the tri-parish for nearly 30 years. He died at age 93. Sr. Marguerite served the Nevis parish from 1973 to 2002 as religious education coordinator, Bible study teacher and visitor to the sick. Both Akeley and Nevis parishes joined the "Twinning program of Americas, Nashville" in 2000 and started supporting Our Lady of Perpetual Help Parish in Baudin, in the diocese of Port -de-Paix, Haiti. In addition to individual student scholarships, financial assistance was given to School Lunch Program and parish support. Nearly 130 students receive monthly sponsorships. Immaculate Conception Parish of Nevis consolidated with St. John’s of Akeley in 2002 to become Our Lady of the Pines (OLP) Catholic Church. The Akeley parish was closed and church sold. Groundbreaking for a new Parish Apostolic Center occurred in 2004. The OLP Apostolic Center was dedicated in 2005. The Center houses offices, classrooms, meeting rooms, a nursery, large kitchen and hall. The bishop dedicated the remodeled church and a new altar in June 2006. The renovated space added a Blessed Sacrament Chapel, Reconciliation room and music ministry section. A bright pine ceiling and a new sound system enhances Our Lady of the Pines Church.

Latest Digital Offer

Helpful Links

Past Print Ads